Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Coffee table make-over

I built a table y'all.

Not really, we just put a new "old" top on it.

This table has been about 100 different colors. It was also a chalk table which proved to be quite the primer for the many coats of paint that followed it. Which was a prime factor in my decision to quit trying to scrape paint off of it and just start fresh.




How fun was it to find this gem when we took the top off of it.



Fun fact: My grandpa built this table in highschool so as rickety as it may be I'm kind of partial to it and want to try and keep it in the living room (or another room) as much as we can. Adding a new top sturdied it up a tad.. not much, but a tad. ;)



This picture makes me laugh, it's like he's promoting himself. I'M DRIVEN. Dork.

To make the faux pallet top we just used some wood from Home Depot, I picked a thickness that wouldn't look too ridiculous but not too thin that it would warp. In my head I swore I took more pictures of the actual process but maybe it all happened so fast I blacked out. Who knows, but I have nothing to show you!

Imagine this.

We put the pieces of wood on the table frame like a puzzle piece. Now, Mr. Home Depot who made the cuts for us wasn't quite procise so we just did the best we could and sawed a straight edge at the end. Don't worry about it. Imperfections are what antiques are made of, how else are you going to make your "new" table look old? Don't sweat the small stuff. It's not all level, there's a hair or two off in spots and I'm a-okay with that. Because it's NOT a flat top. It has gaps, ridges, etc. Just sand it down smooth and stain away.



Then decide later what color you're going to paint it. Try blue on two legs for good measure. Then leave it alone for 3 weeks of course. ;)

The best part?

Castors!


These babies were 2 bucks a pack at the store and they were calling my name. I think they're adorable. We haven't had any problem with the table shifting because of the carpet but you could get castors with stoppers on them if you just wanted the look. We however like to have random dance parties in the living room and table moving is a must. 

Things are a changin' in the living room. And, I like where it's going.  


9 comments:

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

I love how bright and airy your house looks/feels. The new/old coffee table looks awesome with the pallet design on top. Really grounds your space! Can't wait to see all the updates you've got planned!

Lindsay said...

I LOVE this. I need a new table and this is exactly what I have in mind. Your amazing!

Unknown said...

Gosh darn it, I love this.
Freaking gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Love the rug! Where did you get it?

Britni said...

Love it!! This makes me wish I never bought my boring coffee table and did something creative instead. And I second the rug question, I must know where you got it!

Simply Tasheena said...

Love the coffee table!

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Theresa Fletcher said...

Nice job! Your living room is stunning!

melissa @ daisymaebelle.com said...

Love the updates to the coffee table! I am linking up to your party! I am your newest follower!

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

I love the updated coffee table. We have a bunch of pieces my husband's grandfather built in our home and so I totally get wanting to keep family pieces around.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin